Solo traveling has become one of the most popular and exciting modes of travel in recent times. More people have taken up solo traveling as a lucrative and adventurous option to fulfill their traveling dreams. no matter how irresistible this sound, you always need to prepare yourself for not repeating the common mistakes solo travelers all around the world has already suffered for. BeOnTrack has come up with all the common, silly and dangerous Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid inspired by the troubled travel stories experienced by solo traveler across the globe.
Here are the top 43 Troublesome Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid while you plan for your next trip:
1. Arriving and checking in after sundown prevents you to explore the locality.
2. Carrying too much cash might lead to robbery. Instead, use a trusted credit card.
3. Choose your dress according to the cultural sensitivity of your destination. There are places where even sleeveless shirts are prohibited.
4. Don’t Act clueless even if you are feeling lost for some reason. Try to act normal and confident even when you have forgotten the way back hotel or related. Refer to a map or ask a search engine.
5. Don’t feel obliged to stay in hostels. After a tedious sightseeing day long, you deserve some rest, peace and alone time. After all, that the reason you are traveling alone.
6. Drinking the water at the local water stations is not a good idea. Try to purchased packed drinking water.
7. Drinking too much while alone would mean you won’t get help even reach your hotel room.
8. Forgetting a backup plan like opting for another sightseeing destination if something goes wrong with the first one is a terrible Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid.
9. Always check the Passport validity threshold for countries you would like to visit. Some countries ask for minimum 3 -6 months validity for permission.
10. Going out of reach is among the top most Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid. Update your family and close one about your travel plans.
11. Going without a smartphone in today’s time might be the biggest Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid.
12. Hanging your purse on a chair in a restaurant is a sure shot way to attract stealing, robbing or simply forgetting your bag with all your valuables.
13. Leaving valuables like passport and cash at unsafe places is a dangerous Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid. keep them in your hotel room’s safety vaults or carry a safety pouch
14. Leaving without emergency numbers is among the top Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid.
15. Leaving without travel insurance means to open yourself to uncertain and unpredicted cancellation worries and health emergencies.
16. Not doing your homework about the destination, its cultural diversity, people, weather, transportation and accommodation might lead you to undesirable situations.
17. Not double-checking your plans might lead to unexpected cancellation or no- show drivers, tour operators and others.
18. Not having the proper visa can be a big blow to your travel plan. Do your homework to find out the intricacies of securing a proper visa.
19. Not having the right credit card for traveling is very crucial to losing big bucks on your travel. Try to opt for credit cards without the 3% international transaction fee.
20. Not negotiating a taxi rate beforehand with the drivers is a terrible mistake. Taxi rates are negotiable in many countries, as they do not have fixed meters.
21. Not packing a change of clothes in your carry on might be a problem the day when you accidentally drop your coffee cup or when your baggage is misplaced by the airlines.
22. Not printing or saving the details is a perfect recipe for disaster specifically at the moment you least want the disaster to happen. Keep a saved copy of your hotel reservations, address, plan tickets and others in case you lose the original copy.
23. Not reading reviews is one of the common and silly Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid. Read proper reviews on destinations, hotels, transportation and more by sites like Tripadvisor to have a better idea about your plans.
24. Not trusting your instincts might lead you unpleasant situations. Avoid the street, tour, or location that gives negative vibes.
25. Overpacking means heavy luggage, which tends to slow you down. Pack less and mover faster conveniently.
26. Packing liquids and other valuable “no-nos” in your carry on as most of the airlines strictly prohibit them. Even if you are carrying make sure you pick the small containers.
27. Planning tight schedules won’t allow you to enjoy the time out alone in peace. Ticking clock on a holiday trip prevents you rejuvenate your soul and senses.
28. Setting expectations too high will lead you to spend a lot for that once in a lifetime experience the brochures promise you.
29. Spending all your time of your day in transit is the worst plan for your vacation. Early morning or late night travels are the best options to save time and explore more.
30. Taking too many pictures of you or the place of interest means, you have invested less time experiencing the place in real time. Click a few snaps and then try to sink in the feeling of being there.
31. This is the age of technology: avoid hotel hunting on arrival. Book hotels before you leave to avoid hassle on arrival.
32. Too tight connection time might bring unwarranted troubles. Imagine your first flight late by just 15 minutes.
33. Travelling without SOS medicines is another terrible Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid.
34. Try to avoid wandering around the city for that one moneychanger you have heard about a lot. The ATMs at the airport or the nearest best option is always better than roaming penny less.
35. Trying street food can be unhealthy and it might potentially ruin your vacation.
36. Trying to use your credit and debit cards without alerting your bank is a dangerous Solo Travel Mistakes to Avoid. Chances will be high of your request for money being denied.
37. Trying too hard for a bargain might compel you to take a tiring bus ride or an inconvenient sightseeing tour.
38. Using your cell phone without a plan might lead you to unwanted and pocket pinching bills. Take a data or roaming plan for your international tours.
39. Visiting unknown places alone is a direct invitation for trouble. Try to stay in and around crowded places.
40. Wearing flashy jewellery might attract unnecessary troubles like pickpockets or chain snatchers.
41. Don’t feel obliged to make friends or talk politely to the strangers when your guts say otherwise. Leave the place if you don’t like the people or your surroundings straight away.